Thursday, May 19, 2011

rereading the call of the wild :)

 I'm almost done with rereading one of my favorite childhood books. The themes from social studies continue to appear throughout the book. I must say that I have learned a lot, and now that I reread this book I find so much more meaning in it. From reading it I thought about a quote that Ms.Rear told us in class. And basically that quote said that philosophy is questioning the seemingly obvious, and making it questionable. And although I know that the book isn’t really about dogs, but is an allegory for factory workers, I still came up with an ethical question. How do we know that we are the superior species, or are we the superior species? This question really vaguely connect to the book, it’s just that the thought just popped into my head. The way that some humans treat other living things or even other humans can sometimes be very vulgar. Sometimes it’s being careless, or ignorant, other times it may be arrogance. Obviously there is no such thing as a perfect world but is it ethical for someone to believe that we as humans or maybe just one individual is superior?
Some people believe that medical intervention is wrong because of their religion. Is it ok that people have created a way to change nature’s outcome? The human life is something we value so much, and we work our way around natural selection. Many of the ill or injured are saved because of our technology and advancement. But the population on earth is constantly growing, yet the earth is not. Is our way of living doing greater good? Basically I just talked about a lot of questions that I got from reading, not all of them relate to my book directly, which I apologize for, but this whole philosophy unit has got me thinking this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment