Thursday, March 24, 2011

phantoms in the brain, how little we know of ourselves


                I have temporarily halted reading the scarlet letter because I found a different book (but I will return to reading the scarlet letter soon). I came across book while cleaning my book shelves at home. The first thing that caught my attention was the title: phantoms in the brain. I skipped the foreword and the preface and began to read the first page. It is a book written by a doctor about his personal experiences with patients. From the very first page I was hooked. It’s basically about how the brain works, but it’s not all boring facts one after the other. It’s about real life experiences and it’s absolutely thrilling. There are detailed descriptions of neurological phenomena. It answers the most unexpected questions!
This book really reveals a lot of interesting information about the way we think. And from the very first page it shows how little we really know about ourselves. I thought about the phrase from Romeo and Juliet “we’re born to die” and I realized that although it is true, the world is so complex. There are so many technologies in the world that are working to discover, to create, to help our way of life. And behind these technologies are people that create them and each person is “powered” by a brain. And yet there is so much information that remains unknown. As I was reading I couldn’t help but think of it as my brain learning about the brain. What really captured my attention was that this book contains theories about why certain people believe in god, and others don’t. To me this book just gave me a new perspective on life as we know it. It’s very intriguing. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree with ur post :) good job! I was a lol confused though

    ReplyDelete