Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Scarlet letter, by Nathaniel Hawthorne. Themes

Right now I am reading The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne. To give you a brief summary, the book is about a young woman in a puritan town in Boston, Massachusetts. Her name is Hester Prynne and she has gone to prison, for committing adultery. She is released with her infant but she has to always wear a bright red letter A, as public shame. Hester refuses to identify the father of her child.
Some themes in this book so far are sin, and secrecy. I also notice that at the beginning the scarlet letter is very thoroughly described and later on in the book, Hester’s daughter (pearl) wears a dress that has a similar description. I think that Pearl is supposed to represent or embody the scarlet letter that Hester has to wear. Pearl is kind of a shame for her mother, because her mother had her while committing adultery. I thought that this was a very interesting aspect of this book. Hester Prynne was a woman that was bolder than others; she did something that cost her her innocence.

1 comment:

  1. I wonder how far into the book you are... Later on in the book, a very, VERY interesting realization about what Pearl may truly represent in the book. I really want to say more, but I don't want to spoil the book... I will most likely be responding to your future posts about this book.
    Txai

    ReplyDelete